Friday, July 12, 2013

Quick Chimbote update

Have been so busy an way too tired to blog everything!
The 2nd day a group of about 6 of us went to visit the hospice. Hospice is unique here because culturally the philosophy is that pain and suffering is natural at the end of life; and of corse te Hospice philosophy is to make as comfortable and pain free as possible an preserve dignity during last days if life. When we first arrived a woman was recieving her sacrament of Last Rites. She passed away and casket came in and casket came out. Burials are very fast in Chimbote because there is no embalming process. Then the family usually had about a month to save for a funeral. At the hospice we helped cut and fold gauze for dressings (in the states they come in pre packaged sterile bandages) and helped to lotion the skin of some residents. It was an indescribable experience for me because I originally planned to go to the school but at the last minute decided to try something a little different. I'm glad I did. I am not sure yet why I witnessed what I did but I know it was some reason. I will update more later on the house building!
Me and the kids after church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment